The red baron was done using a modelling software I created. At that time it was pretty difficult to create models like that using wavefront. And you had to work with computers that cost a bridge.
My software not only created surfaces using a network of polylines based on hand drawings but was developed by my brother David with the precious help of my friend Didier BIzarri. The surfaces was patented and used more than 10 years as a proprietary software on the AMIGA and mac. The Amiga costed only $500 so I put a team of +-5 modelers literally located in a basement.
My team was composed of comic strip designers with no modelling experience (at that time you could not dream to find artists that know modelling) .
It was Luc Warnant that lead the modelling team. While I did the full production, scriptwriting and leading the development,
Eventually the work ended in the Wavefornt demo tape and acclaimed by the very specialized small CGI community.